The development and growth of successful online distance learning programs is a collaborative enterprise. A new delivery model for distance and flexible learning is required, with innovative use of content, learning technology and program design.
We use our own design tools for helping institutions to develop courses that are flexible, and able to scale to program level. It is particularly useful when deployed for multiple course authors creating new online programs for the first time. It includes creating:
- Clear course designs based around core learning objectives that relate to a valued competency framework.
- Proper study guides that contain the tutoring written clearly in, and really do guide the students.
- Lots and lots of practice formative assessments with good answers.
- Strongly embedded use of critical thinking to enhance retention and knowledge transfer.
- Regular review points to track progress, provide feedback and monitor for interventions.
- Seamless integration and branding of licensed third party Publisher’s materials.
- Annual updates to keep all learning materials current.
- Complete core course material sets ready for immediate study.
- Multi-format materials and options to help students study comfortably online and offline, using different media and devices.
- Use of Web-like interactions for familiarity in information browsing and use of modern media elements including videos limited to 6 minutes or less.
- A course manifest to orchestrate the module learning experience.
- Personalised learning experiences for each student.
We believe essential readings need to be conveniently and fully integrated into the online content. Student progress must be constantly tracked and reviewed at key intervention points. Effective support is needed to ensure optimum module success rates. Students should acquire skills and competencies defined in competency frameworks that will lead to career development and professional level recognition.